Categorized | Sleep Apnea

Major Surgery to Fix Sleep Apnea is Painful


Warning: Illegal string offset 'keywords_time' in /home/content/11/5479811/html/ihaveosa/wp-content/plugins/internal_link_building.php_/internal_link_building.php on line 103

Making the big decision to either continue on with CPAP therapy, or to go through with a major surgery to correct the problems that untreated sleep apnea presents is a very big deal.

Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, or you may be in for the biggest surprise of your life.  There are several different types of surgery that help out with sleep apnea, and many of them come with long recovery times.  There are benefits however, and this is what makes the decision making process so difficult from the patient’s perspective.

Nasal Passage Surgery

Clearing the nasal passage is one type of surgery.  It has proven effective for quite some time now and a previous study illustrates this point.  Here is the study:  Clinical effect of surgical correction for nasal pathology on the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.  This particular study showed positive results in 56% of obstructive sleep apnea patients which is pretty incredible.  But what about the remaining 44%?  Those patients are still symptomatic and need another form of treatment.  And if CPAP is just not going to work for them, the chances are they are going to look at yet another form of surgery to correct their bad sleep.

Tongue Surgery for Sleep Apnea

Getting your tongue hacked up is yet another surgical procedure that is on the rise for men and women to treat OSA.  As the tongue is a major part of the body which can impact the airway, reducing its size has also led to some success and some major discomfort for people who go that route.  Here is a study:  Combined bipolar radiofrequency surgery of the tongue base and uvulopalatopharyngoplasty for obstructive sleep apnea.

Leave a Reply